Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Quiz # 1- L.A. City Schools and Medical Marijuana Dispensaries


I am in favor of the decision made by the L.A. City Council which requires medical marijuana dispensaries to be at least one thousand feet from places where children congregate. I think it is most important to evaluate this decision in terms of Los Angeles city schools; schools is where children spend majority of their time. Not only is it important that children spend much of their time at their respective school, also this is where their learning foundation is based. Therefore, I made my decision based on the perspective that schools are the pillar of growth for children and this should in no way be disturbed. However, I would like to point out that there can be other perspectives from which to view this issue which can result in a different verdict from mine.

It is important to provide voters with information such as is provided in my map, so that informed voting can take place. Therefore, it is also important to provide accurate data. I would like to point out that the main concentration is on the selected Los Angeles city. My map shows buffers of 1,000 feet around each and every school in the city of Los Angeles. I also geocoded the addresses for the medical marijuana dispensaries within Los Angeles. The purpose of this data display is to see where these dispensaries cross into the buffer zone (which means they would be violating the decision made by the Los Angeles City Council). At least half of the dispensaries cross into the buffer zones for different schools. This should not be the case if children and their environment is to be protected and respected.


Implementing this decision does imply the shutting down of those dispensaries which cross into the buffer zones; this results in costs of closure and, probably also affects the owners of the dispensaries. Even though there may be difficulties, it is important to measure the value of each side of the conflict. Is it more valuable to shelter children from the activities of dispensaries so as to not disrupt their developmental stage? Or is it more important to avoid the costs I previously mentioned and let the dispensaries keep earning their profit? I believe the priority lies within how the children are affected at all times; which is why I reiterate that I am in favor of the Los Angeles City Council decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment